Monday 19 April 2010

American Idol-isation

So I think I might have done it again...

I've been watching American Idol a lot this season (that is kinda underselling it, truth be told) and slowly, without my realisation, I have become hooked. Seven or eight seasons in and I am suddenly all about the "Idol". We get the shows a day after they air in America and then they get repeated about two or three times throughout the following week so come Saturday, I pitch up in front of my TV with my laptop so I am working and not just being sad for the sake of it, and watch the whole thing over again.

I am the first to admit that I am not a huge fan of reality TV with hopeless losers trying to get their 15 minutes. However, a reality show where people genuinely have the opportunity to fight for their dream is something else entirely. For me, the original few series of The Apprentice and The Contender were great television (although melodrama and an obvious dose of mediation and construction render that argument now slightly devoid of merit) and now I can see that American Idol is in a similar vein. In the beginning, I did watch because of the opening few rounds where you get the comedy value of watching delusional people sing and dance when it is obvious to everyone else that this is so not the case. Then the next couple of rounds came and went with four people being voted out in quick succession (including Todrick Hall, who I thought had a great if slightly common voice - like those that most R 'n' B singers have) to leave just 12 fighting it out in the finals. Then out of nowhere, came...

...Lee Dewyze.



There is something so unique and special about this guy and it seems like he could almost be too good for this show. His voice works for him and there is no denying that it is gorgeous - a gentle rasp which he knows exactly how to control for the most effect. Watching his version of "Lips of an Angel" just melted me completely and his slight nervousness, I find, works for him. I know this sounds strange and the judges pick up on it occasionally as if it is a huge problem but in all honesty, I like it. It's kinda sexy in a way and usually I like a guy with a bit of a swagger, a bit of an unknowing confidence about him and perhaps Lee has this and it is a subconscious thing on my part. I could quite honestly listen to him singing the phonebook to me and I would find it soothing.

I also like that disconnection between being confident and showing it, since Lee says he feels confident but does not necessarily know how to show it at the right times. He has a past and he openly admits that he has done some things that he regrets but in turn has had some things done to him which hurt just as much, if not more. What I also loved was that they chose not to disclose the full story and take advantage of it like the usual sob stories you get on these shows. If you want to know what happened, google it and read the countless articles that haven't given him this much respect.

So now it's a mere three weeks until the final and Lee is gathering momentum. Sure, there are the usual "haters" who dislike him because he isn't their favourite but there are many many more who are intent on voting for him to get to the final and ultimately, to win the whole thing. He knows what style fits him and if he sticks to it, he should have a good chance of having a stable and successful career. Sure, there's no shock value like Adam Lambert but they are not necessarily what gives an artist longevity (except for Madonna perhaps, and Lady GaGa although I am keeping out of that one for a while).

Either way, Lee is one to watch...

1 comment: